28.9.12

Conversaciones My favourite proverb

 

Listening en inglés. Conversaciones. A proverb is a simple saying that explains a general rule or feeling. Six people share their favorites.


Sarah / England
 
My favorite proverb would have to be "Don't judge a book by its cover." I think it can be used in many different daily situations. Obviously, when you meet new people, you always need to give someone a chance. So, I think that a chance is always good for someone, probably better than judging on first impressions.

Paul / England
 
A proverb I like is "Don't count your chickens before they hatch," which is a cautionary proverb. It means don't always bank on you guessing the result. It’s also a reminder that life can change very quickly, so it's good to learn a certain degree of patience and allow certain things to run their course before you get excited.

Gareth / England
 
There's a very famous proverb from Confucius, and it's "Hear and I forget; see and I understand; I do and I know." I like it because it means until you actually do something, it's hard to really, truly know it. I believe that a lot of the times when you're learning, and you're learning by hearing stuff from your lecture or from a podcast, it's very difficult to acquire that knowledge and to actually really grasp it. When you see something, it gets a little bit better, but when you do something, that's when you really truly know something.

Katia / Mexico
 
One proverb that I think of often, it says, "Everything will be as it should be." When I think of it, I get very relaxed, I don't tend to worry as much as I usually do. For me, that means, regardless of how much I worry or how much I try, regardless of that, everything will be as it should be. So, that's a proverb that I really like.

Lindsay / United States
 
I really like the proverb, "The grass is always greener on the other side." I think that's really true, and I find that it's always like that. I always want what I can't have, and then when I get that, then I find out that it's not as great as I had hoped it would be. So, because of this, I try to always keep that in mind and be happy for what I have.

Warren / Canada

I think "What goes around, comes around" is what comes to mind for me. I think it is really true. Basically, if you do something good, good things will happen to you. And if you do bad things, bad things are going to happen to you, maybe not right away but eventually.


Vocabulario:

hatch - romper el cascarón
  • The ducklings hatched yesterday. -  Los patitos rompieron el cascarón ayer.

bank on > to expect or rely with confidence on someone or something. Contar con, confiar en
  • I wouldn't bank on on it. - Yo no me confiaría.
  • We were banking on them accepting our offer. - Confiábamos en que aceptaron nuestra oferta.
  • We were banking on you arriving on time. -  Contábamos con que llegarías a tiempo

run their / its course > That something develops or happens in the usual or expected way. Seguir su curso.
  • and allow certain things to run their course before you get excited. - y permite que ciertas cosas sigan su curso antes de emocionarse.
  • Let it run its course. - Deja que siga su curso.

stuff - cosas

grasp - entender, comprender
She has a good grasp of French. -  Domina bastante bien el francés.
They have a good grasp of the subject. -Tienen conocimientos sólidos del tema.

regardless - a pesar de todo
  • For me, that means, regardless of how much I worry or how much I try, regardless of that, everything will be as it should be. - Para mí, eso significa que, independientemente de lo mucho que me preocupe o por mucho que lo intente, a pesar de eso, todo será como debe ser.

keep in mind - no olvidar, recordar, tener en cuenta
So, because of this, I try to always keep that in mind and be happy for what I have. - Por lo tanto, debido a esto, trato de tenerlo siempre en cuenta y ser contenta / feliz por lo que tengo.



Atribution, listening, escuchar inglés con conversaciones
Attribution: English Listening Lesson Library Online, (elllo).
Source page:  Favorite Proverb Mixer 121


Curso ingles online. Listening en inglés. Conversaciones.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario